Do you know how to watch a professional soccer game, and learn from the very best? Do you know what to look for? Here’s a step by step process of what to do!
1st step (Identify the Problem)
- The 1st step is to identify area within your game that you’d like to improve upon.
- If you don’t know how to conduct a self assessment, listen to my previous episode
2nd step (Find World Class Players to Study)
- The 2nd step is to identify a world class player that excels in your problem area.
3rd step (Find a Match to Watch)
- The 3rd step is to find a game to watch. I usually go on YouTube as there are full matches uploaded on there. There’s also a great iPhone app called FootyLight where you can watch all the games almost immediately after their played.
- I prefer to watch games on my laptop as it’s easier to stop, start, rewind and fast forward on there. But if you don’t have access to one, anything will do.
- While watching the game, I turn the volume off so that I could concentrate on whats really happening. You’d be surprised by how distracting a commentator could be.
4th step (Watch the Game)
- Step 4 is to watch the game. These are the 3 sections to pay attention to and what to look for:
- Before the ball gets to the player, what are they doing? Are they looking over their shoulders to be aware of their surroundings? Are they making any quick movements to create space for themselves? Are they indicating to their teammate where they want the ball by verbally and non-verbally expressing it?
- When they’re receiving the ball, how is their body positioned? Is it at an angle? Which way are they facing? Back completely to goal, sideways on? Are they standing straight up? Are their knees bent? are they standing straight up until the ball is on its way, and then they bend their knees? What direction is he moving into once he receives the ball? Looking to pass or dribble?
- During the build-up, I track his movement. When the ball is at various parts of the field, I look to see what positions he takes up.
- I also look at instances of when he doesn’t receive the ball, what does he do? Does he stand still, or does he move into a new area to create space for another player?
- When he does something right, I replay it over and over and to figure out why he made that decision. What does he see? What if he went the other way, what would happen? What if he held onto the ball?
- How does he deal with not getting the ball? When his loses the ball? When he misplaces a pass? When he misses a chance? When he gets fouled? How strong is his mentality? How does he respond to it physically and mentally?
- like to get very meticulous with this as I find that by doing so, I get the best results.
5th step (Apply What You’ve Learned)
- If you don’t know how to work on what you’ve learned, don’t worry. Its actually normal. You can sign up for my FREE training program that will be released soon.
- In the meantime, there are a lot of great trainers out there that are currently sharing drills. Heres a list of a few: Epic Soccer Training, Progressive Soccer, Beast Mode Soccer, Become Elite, Joner 1on1 Football Training, Mo Ali, GPS Soccer Assassin, CL Soccer Fit, Techne Futbol, Sainz Football Academy, Samba Elite Soccer, My Football Coach, Beestera Soccer Training, Tactekks Soccer Training, Football Awareness, Eddie Johnson, Will John, and Superior Striker.
Theres no better time to be alive. We live in an age where information is readily available for those looking to improve themselves. Take advantage of it!
As my uncle Hugh would always tell me, “Become a Student of the Game”
Each episode is recorded at APL HQ in Los Angeles,and our graphics are created by Anthony Molina over at AMolina Designs in Pheonix, Arizona.
If you have a moment to spare today, if you got some value from this episode or any other episode, and you haven’t yet left a review for the show on iTunes, I would be forever grateful for that. I read each one and not only does it keep me inspired to continue bringing you these episodes, but it helps the show grow organically!
Till next week, GO OUT THERE AND LIVE A PRO’S LIFE!