Lauren Sesselmann is an Olympic Bronze Bronze Medalist, World Cup Veteran and the creator of Fit As A Pro. Born and raised in Greenbay, WI soccer was her passion. She earned a scholarship to play at Purdue university. She was an All-American, one of the top-goal scorers in the Big 10, and held numerous records.
- Right before graduating from Purdue University, the Women’s Professional Soccer League (WPSL) folded. So she landed a job at IBM, however she never lost her love for the game nor did she ever stop dreaming of becoming a professional soccer player. She participated in the combine for the WPS, and was drafted to Chicago Sky Blue FC.
- In her first year as a professional, Lauren won the WPS Championship. Although she didn’t play much, she was never bitter. She used that as motivation to improve and strived to be a leader off the field because it’s just as important to her.
- In her second year, Lauren thought about quitting due to the lack of playing time. She began to question her abilities, and the meeting she had with her coach didn’t help either. He basically told her that she wasn’t good enough and that EVERYONE was ahead of her in the pecking order.
- Lauren went home in tears, licked her wounds, and showed up the following day and had the best performance this coach has ever seen from her. He resigned her to a new contract that very day. She attributes her performance to PLAYING FREELY and HAVING FUN.
- In her 3rd year as a professional, Lauren got called up to the Canadian National Team
- Lauren started and played her 1st game as a right back… A NEW POSITION FOR HER
- Lowest moment of her career was tearing her ACL before the World Cup. Suffered from multiple complications throughout the rehab process and was suffering from depression.
- Lauren ended up playing in the 2015 World Cup, and was blamed for Canada’s eventual elimination after she fell over the ball gifting England with a scoring opportunity.
- She dusted herself off, and bounced back, and went on to earn 46 total caps with Canada
- Although Lauren has “retired” from international play, she’s yet to sign the retirement paperwork. Lauren still holds out hope that she can represent her country 1 more time
Outside the Pitch
- Lauren is the creator of Fit As A Pro. A workout series that the everyday person could do wherever you are.
- She’s aiming to continue be a mentor to young ladies out there